Erectile dysplasia in men & women: everything you need to know
Thinning hair and receding hairline make you old - that much is certain. About 80 percent of men in Germany are affected by receding hairline. They usually appear in old age. Occasionally, however, receding hairline also appears right after puberty - the causes are many and varied. Many men accept this optical blemish. Others suffer from it, lose self-esteem and are desperate to do something against the progression of hair loss.
What are receding hairline?
The term 'recedinghairline' is used to describe hair loss at the hairline above the temples . The medical term is calvities frontalis. The term "receding hairline" is generally only used for men. By the way, in Austria they are colloquially called "Hofratsecken", in Switzerland they are called "Ratsherrenecken". Of course, women can also have receding hairlines, i.e. hair loss around the roots. But there is no colloquial term for it.
Why do you get receding hairline?
The most common cause of receding hairline is simply a genetic predisposition. They are often the beginning of hereditary hair loss. In this case, the hair follicles are very sensitive to a special hormone. The hormone is called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and is an active form of testosterone. If bald patches develop in the temple area, they can lead to a triangular hairline on the forehead over the years.
Will receding hairline always turn into baldness?
Unfortunately, hair loss at the roots of men's foreheads is often the first sign of a more extensive process. But it does not have to lead to baldness, which is the final stage. At least, however, the thinning hair usually extends to the back of the head. It is best to have your hair analysed by a hair specialist, dermatologist or aesthetic plastic surgeon. The sooner a man takes action, the better the chances of preventing rapidly progressing hair loss.
Is it possible to treat receding hairline?
The good news is: Yes. Hereditary hair loss can be stopped.
- The active ingredient minoxidil, for example, has been tried and tested. Its effectiveness has been medically proven. It stimulates new hair growth by revitalising the hair root. Minoxidil has a blood circulation-promoting effect and thus helps to reactivate the hair root.
- Another option is the PRP method. Here, blood is taken from the patient and centrifuged with an increased concentration of platelets. This plasma is then injected into the scalp. This is supposed to stimulate cell renewal and stop hair loss.
- If the receding hairline is already relatively large, men can consider having their own hair transplanted. Admittedly, this solution is expensive, but it promises good results. Since a hair trans plant is an aesthetic procedure, the costs are not covered by health insurance in most cases. In brief, a hair transplant works like this: Your own healthy hair is taken from the back of your head and planted on the bald spots. Depending on the amount of hair to be transplanted, the costs amount to about 4,000-8,000 euros.
Men who want to find the causes of their receding hairline should also pay attention to their diet. A healthy and balanced diet is a good way to prevent hair loss. The right hair care can also be decisive.Special shampoos can have the desired effect on mild hair loss: They are gentle on the scalp, give your own hair more strength and thus counteract hair loss. These shampoos are usually available in drugstores and from hairdressers.
What is the best way to conceal receding hairline?
Bald patches on the scalp can be easily hidden by styling the hair appropriately. You can get tips from a hairdresser or barber.
- Anideal hairstyle for receding hairline is the undercut. The sides are cut short, while the top hair is left longer. Longer hair makes the whole head of hair look more voluminous, so that the light hair is hardly noticeable.
- A long fringe like Johnny Depp's also conceals hair loss in men. At the first signs, a side parting can help to visually reduce the dilemma.
- Other hairstyles include the military cut called the buzzcut, a rather wispy look that is visually distracting, or the man bun, which is currently being celebrated by Leonardo di Caprio.
By the way, styling products with a matt finish are more recommended for hair loss than those with a shiny finish. The latter make the hair look even thinner. If all else fails, a wet ra zor can be the remedy, provided you are ready for a modern full head of hair.
Alternatively, there are ultra-modern hair replacements that can be invisibly attached by a professional and, depending on the model, can be worn for months.
Can receding hairline hair grow back?
No, because once the hair has fallen out and the hair root is dead, no new hair will grow back. However, if hair loss is treated in time with proven active agents, the process of bald patches can be stopped. A visit to a so-called hair consultation can provide information. It is offered by university clinics and specialised doctors for men with hair problems.
Are receding hairlines attractive?
If women find baldness erotic, then receding hairline does not detract from a man's attractiveness. It cannot be said that receding hairline or hair loss increases attractiveness, but it hardly matters from a woman's point of view. However, today's working and living environment is relatively demanding. A youthful appearance is very important for both men and women, and that includes a full head of hair - for both men and women.