Buzz Cut: The simplest of all men's hairstyles! Men like things uncomplicated. And that includes their hair. Because the hairstyle has to be as easy to handle as possible for most men. The big advantage of the buzz cut: it's super quick in the bathroom in the morning! We reveal here whether you can also cut this look yourself and who it suits.
What is a buzz cut?
This trend comes from the places where things always have to be done quickly. From the army! The term "buzz cut" comes from the buzzing sound an electric razor makes. And the name says it all. Because this short hairstyle for men is created almost entirely with clippers, i.e. hair clippers. A trimmer or razor is needed for the contours.
A buzz cut is very short. The hair is cut down to 3 to 15 millimetres. The buzz cut comes in two versions:
- Short version with 3-5mm: The hair is simply shaved down to one length. And then there is the slightly
- Longer version with transition: The top hair is left a little longer. There is usually a transition to the side hair(fade cut). This looks better with the longer version.
How do I care for the buzz cut?
The care of this hairstyle is just as easy as the styling.
You rarely have to wash your hair. Better said, you shouldn't wash it too often so as not to irritate the scalp. A mild shampoo is ideal. Another advantage: you don't really need a hairdryer. At least with an ultra-short buzz cut. The hair dries super fast.
With such short hair, however, you often have to trim it. If the hair is extremely short, you may need to trim it after 2-3 weeks. Either go to a barber or hairdresser or shave it yourself.
- Protect the scalp
Besides using a mild shampoo and not washing too often, it is important to protect the scalp. The longer the buzz cut, the lower the risk of sunburn. So in summer, if you have extremely short cuts of 3-5 mm, you should definitely apply sunscreen to your head or wear a cap.
Who does a buzz cut suit?
The buzz cut actually suits every man. Actually! But you should be aware that the shape of your head, forehead and ears will be in the spotlight. The very short hair shows every imperfection. If you want to hide scars or dents, you should go for the longer version.
Can I wear a buzz cut with receding hairline?
That is also possible. Because receding hairline can be concealed well with a very short cut. We are talking about hair that is 3 millimetres short.
Can I cut a Buzz Cut myself?
The answer is no. If you want to use the clippers yourself and don't want to go to the hairdresser, then only the super short version . You should therefore decide beforehand how many mm you want the buzz cut to be. With a 3 mm buzz cut, there is the least risk of getting it wrong. The entire hair will then be the same length.
Anything else that requires a transition between the top and side hair (fade cut) should be left to the hairdresser . Otherwise it could quickly look uncool. A clean transition to the sides is a must with a longer version. If you can't resist and want to do it yourself, here are the step-by-step instructions.
Step by Step to the 3mm Buzz Cut
You need a good clipper to cut your own hair. It is worth investing in a good tool. Why? The result is cleaner! The clipper should have different attachments or be equipped with adjustable length. This way you can precisely set the desired millimetre length.
- Wash hair and dry thoroughly. Residual moisture in the hair means that the hair sticks when shaving.
- For the inexperienced: First set the clippers to 10 mm.
- Start theclippers and shave the hair.
- Shaveonce from front to back.
Then bring the whole hair to one length with the clippers.
- Then set the clippers to less millimetres and shorten the entire hair again. In this way, you can gradually decide which length you like in the end.
- Always change direction: also shave from back to front to get the hair to an even length.
Four eyes see more than two. It helps to have someone with you to keep an eye on bumps and the back of the head.
- Removehairfrom the machine regularly. This ensures a clean buzz cut result.
- If the hair is short all over, then you can opt for a transition if you are used to using the clippers.
- To do this, choose a slightly shorter mm number and set this on the clipper or change the attachment.
10. on the sides, shave the hair from the bottom up to the edge of the top hair.
Tip: Professionals use a trimmer for this. This works more finely and is the better choice for hard-to-reach areas such as behind the ear.
Don't forget the nape and back of the head.
Let the buzz cut grow out
The mission to grow out the buzz cut can be a challenge. Because you need one thing here: patience! Here are a few tips:
- Dry your hair and put on a cool head covering.
- If you like to keep your hair flat in the transitional period, you can put a conditioner or styling cream in your hair. Then the hair won't look so spiky.
- And then only angel patience will help.